March 30, 2009

I Survived!

I just survived a 4.3 earthquake. I know that's not very big, but it was the scariest thing ever.

Growing up in central California we would experience aftershocks of bigger earthquakes that happened somewhere else. I never felt them though. Travis has been in multiple earthquakes having lived in Japan for quite a few years. Since moving here he has also felt tiny ones that, for some reason, I didn't feel. I was starting to feel a little jealous, or left out if you will, because I haven't experienced one. Why would I be jealous? Call me crazy!

Well today I can officially say that I've experienced an earthquake. I was sitting on the couch and I heard a loud banging upstairs and a little shake. I thought someone must have dropped something upstairs to make the walls shake, but then the couch started shimmying and shaking and I looked over at our lamp next to the couch and it was shaking. I started to jump up to get somewhere safe and it stopped. My heart was racing so fast! It didn't last very long and didn't cause any damage, but I've gotten my experience and I don't want another one! Unfortunately, earthquakes are one of the downsides of living in the bay area. Knowing that a big one can just be around the corner is not very comforting. Has anyone else been through an earthquake?

6 comments:

Kristen said...

That is so scary! I lived in Southern California during the 6.8 Northridge earthquake and totally felt it, but I was little and had been sleeping so I just thought someone was shaking my bed. They're scary! Hope you don't have another one for a LONG time.

Margaret said...

I wish I was there to see you run around looking for a door way to get under:) I remeber one in Visalia. It was sunday and I was taking a nap and I woke up to the light shaking and then it felt like I was falling cause the floor started shaking...thats my experiance. Amazing...I know.

Ralph and Claudia said...

Tracked to your site from Marg's blog. That ad is the dumbest thing I've ever seen! U R way cwazy! Love you guys!

Nathan & Michelle Watabe said...

They are really scary, because you realize that the earth is way bigger and stronger than you and there's nothing you can do to prevent or stop it from happening. I used to lay in bed and think, is tonight going to be the night that a big one hits. I don't miss it.

Kirstie said...

i hate earthquakes! i always feel like i don't know what is going on until it is over!

Sarah H said...

that is scary. I'm glad it wasn't too big and that you're okay.