First up on the list is a dress form I found at TJ Maxx/HomeGoods. I've wanted a dress form for a long time and have had regrets of coming across ones that I've liked and never bought. Now, I can actually say that I'm glad that I never purchased past ones I've seen because this one is my favorite. And the best part, of course, it was only $17! The other ones that I liked were upwards of $50. This one though came without a base so I was a little worried that I might not find something that would work.
Before

After
Next, is an afghan that I crocheted. My mom is a crocheting/knitting queen and has offered to teach me multiple times. I just was never that interested when it was easier to just have her make something for me. While we were at my parents house for Christmas, my mom was going through some old craft magazines in hopes of throwing them away. Unfortunately, I would go through those headed for the trash and find something I liked and pulled it back out. In one, I found directions to an afghan that I really liked. My mom thought it was simple enough for me to try and convinced me to learn how to crochet. I loved it and was very addicted to working on it throughout the Christmas break. I worked really fast at the beginning when you can see your progress and how far you've gone. Once I got halfway through, I couldn't tell how much I'd done because it didn't look that much longer, and I started to lose steam. I also had a hard time understanding the directions so I would have to wait until I could see my mom do it.
Also, these are tails that you have to weave in and that is so tedious. 
I like to say this is my first and last afghan, but my mom gets mad when she hears me say that. So, this is my only afghan for the foreseeable future!
And last, but certainly not least, is my railroad shelf. My friend, Ang, has a railroad shelf, which used to be her mantle until she moved to Virginia, and I thought it was such a cool idea. Her dad made it for her so I took pictures of it and showed it to my dad hoping we could make one just like it. The first railroad tie that we got was really hard to work with. It had creosote (coal tar) all over it. They are soaked in creosote to protect it from the weather and apparently all the tools we tried to use on it to smooth it down. To make a long story short, it ended up with too many imperfections, which my dad likes to call character, so I wanted to start over. We had actually found a railroad tie in our own yard that was much older and dried out. It was a lot easier to work with and since we made our mistakes on the first one, this one went a lot easier. It still has character, but I'm learning to live with it. I really love it and I'm happy with how it turned out. The first one with all the character is not being wasted. My dad hung that one up in his wood working shop and it really adds to the space.
13 comments:
I love that quilt! I keep starting one, and i never finish it and end up pulling it all apart:( And the railroad shelf! You can start making me one of those and sending it later...Hows that sound? haha jk! Your so good at finishing your crafts!
Wow, I really love it all!! I really need to start some projects! I still haven't started any of mine. But Kat those are awesome finished products!!
Kat--you're incredible!!! How do you do all these projects?! I loved the last round of projects too--especially the card tree.
You are just one talented woman!
Very cool! Your apartment looks so nice. Wish I could see it in real life. I bet you love being out of Copley!
Who knew you were so handy and crafty! I LOVE the afghan, and I think you should make one for me. Seriously. Just think about it.
I would love a railroad tie mantle like that, but we don't have a fire place, but I can sympathize with all the work you put into it. I know how long it takes to make wood that looks like crap into something fantastic! Good work!
WOW! You have been busy! That blanket is amazing and I love the new mantle.
Holy cow! You are so talented! The blanket looks so great! I love the tassels on the corners! The mantle turned out so good and I love the dress form!! Great job!
Kat, you are crazy!! I wish I could be as cool and crazy as you! I LOVE all of your new creative things. I LOVE the quilt. I wish I could crochet. I've wanted to learn for years but I think I would not finish it. Anywho, You're awesome!
That shelf is absolutely beautiful! I love it!
hope you don't mind me commenting but your afghan was amazing, and the shelf reminds me of the shelf my father made for me. I LOVE the way he put the RR nails in the base!
The dress for is darling too! I was quite impressed with your blog entry and can't wait to see what new projects you complete! Tell Travis hello.
I love the shelf. You did a great job on the afgan. They are a lot of work. I'm impressed it turned out so well. It seemed to take me a while to get somewhat even stiches. Looks great.
Kate, hopefully you check this frequently. I thought I had your phone number in my phone but I guess I don't. Anyway, in Relief Society on Sunday they were begging people to sign up to be in the Enrichment Talent show. Angie and I decided we should do something for it but we want you to do it with us. Angie knows the Hannah Montana dance and thought it would be fun to do. We are practicing tomorrow at her house at 10am. Anyway give me a call when you see this! Thanks!!
i love that stripey afghan!
Post a Comment