February 08, 2010

1 Month

Where does the time go?  I can't believe it has been a month already.  Here's what I've learned and experienced throughout this month.  Motherhood is not what I expected.  Some things are easier than I thought and some things are harder.


You must take precautions everytime you change a boy.  We learned that the hard way.  We were still in the hospital, when in the middle of the night Travis and I were both changing Beau's diaper.  He had his circ. earlier that day and diaper changing went smoother when both of us were helping.  We were scrambling to try and change him fast when he started peeing all over himself.  Unfortunately, he was pointed up and he shot himself in the face.  We are pretty sure he nailed himself in the eye and mouth and all over his onesie.  He was already crying from the act of getting his diaper changed and started screaming bloody murder after he pee'd himself in the face.  Travis and I get pee'd on occasionally too. 

I was a hot mess after we got home from the hospital.  So emotional.  I would cry at the drop of a hat and had major anxiety.  The crying and anxiety have gotten better thankfully.

I am only pumping and not nursing.  I love the freedom of having bottles and Travis being able to feed him, but not the pumping sessions.  I think I would go crazy if I had to get up every night with him to nurse.  I get up with him on the weeknights and Travis gets up with him on the weekends.  I highly recommend it.  I enjoy my two nights a week of sleep.

Beau loves his paci, but isn't addicted to it.  Hopefully that will mean he won't mind when I take it away for good.

Beau is still learning that he doesn't have to be held to take a nap.  He sleeps fine by himself at night, however, he won't sleep longer than 10-20 minutes by himself during the day unless someone is holding him.  I can't get anything done, but sleep myself, work one handed on the compter or watch tv.  I love holding him, but I do need a shower every once in awhile and taking one when Travis gets home isn't ideal for me.  I haven't been too worried since he's so young.  You can't expect much from someone who's only a few weeks old.  Although, the last two days we've discovered swaddling him super tight and propping him on his side has enabled him to sleep soundly for hour stretches.  I hope that keeps working and gets better. 

Our BabyBjorn has been my life saver.  Having a baby that only wants to be held, the Bjorn is a must if you want to get anything done.  Beau contently hangs out while I get ready for church and while I do the dishes.  Travis loves using it too while doing things around the apartment.  Beau even helped Travis make my birthday cake the other day.

Tummy time is our favorite.  I love laying him on my stomach and watching him lift his head to look around.  He always has the cutest expressions and such a strong neck.

Beau loves walks.  He'll be fussy and as soon as we walk outside he quiets right down.  He even knows when the walk is over and sometimes when we pull up to the door he'll start crying again.  Sorry, I can only walk so much.
Happy one month Beau!  May you have many more.

7 comments:

Judd Sarah and Jackson said...

I am SO glad that things are going by fast. It is true about being a mess when you get home from the Hospital. It is a VERY emotional thing! And Swaddling IS a life saver. They just LOVE to be warm. So after you get him swaddled and to sleep through on another blanket or two and he will sleep even longer!! And if you aren't having much fun pumping, bc it is time consuming, nursing is the same. So you don't poop out in another month you should get some magazines to read, or turn on the TV to make the time pass by faster. And about the shower thing. I just got good at getting in and out of the shower REALLY fast.

Blake and Audra said...

This is all VERY informative, Kat! It's nice to actually hear someone say that things are not how they expected. I always think, I know it won't be easy at all, but it shouldn't be too bad right? I'm in denial I know. I CAN NOT believe he's a month old already. That is so crazy. He just keeps getting cuter and cuter, and I thought he was the cutest little guy with the first picture. :)

Rebecca said...

Someone once told me that a clear shower curtain is a must for new mom's so you can keep an eye on your bebe while you shower.

He sure is a cutie! You are doing a great job!

Kimberly Porter said...

I pumped exclusively for 10 months for both my boys. If you have any questions, let me know.

I bought a "pumping bra" that let me pump with no hands and I could feed them bottles while I pumped. You should check them out. I think you can buy them off the medela website.

Keep it up! He's darling.

Sarah H said...

It was at least 7 weeks before A. would take a nap without being held. That was definitely hard, so I can relate. The good thing is that it gets easier.

Hope you are getting lots of rest.

Love the photos.

Desiree Bowen said...

It gets so much easier Kat! You are doing great!

If you decide to go to formula, I have a really good article about it that will take all the guilt away that you might get from the breast-feed-only- crazies out there. It really helped me, and has helped some of my friends too. I am a huge supporter of formula! :)

Don't even worry about the paci right now. You do what makes him happy and worry about taking away the paci later. Natalie loved her paci and had it until she was three, and when we took it away, it was only a 2 bad night thing. So seriously, it is TOTALLY worth it.

The fact that you are thinking about these things speaks volumes about what a great mother you are. But don't stress yourself out. There is nothing wrong with taking what seems to be the "easy way" if it means you will be a better mom for it! There are too many mothers out there that think the more you sacrifice, the better mom you are. Just not true! Remember that you need to have your sanity, and have a great marriage in tact too. :)

I didn't mean to get on my soap box about that, but I hope it helps somewhat! :)

Karie said...

Beau is such a cutie, Kate! I agree with all the previous comments. You are doing great and it does get easier! I pumped for a few months bc Stockton would not nurse...he eventually got the hang of it around 5 1/2 months. :)It seemed like forever but it is so much easier then pumping and feeding him. I definitely use formula whenever nursing is inconvenient though. It is great when you are out and about!